Your permanent residence status is conditional if it is based on a marriage that was less than 2 years old on the day you were given permanent residence. You are given conditional resident status on the day you are lawfully admitted to the United States on an immigrant visa or adjustment of your status to permanent residence. Your status is conditional because you must prove that you did not get married to evade the United States’ immigration laws. To remove these conditions, you must file Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence.

Eligibility Criteria

How to Apply to Remove the Conditions

If You Are No Longer Married To Your Spouse or If You Have Been Battered or Abused by Your U.S.-Citizen or Lawful Permanent-Resident Spouse or Parent

You can apply to waive the joint filing requirement if you are no longer married to your spouse, or if you have been battered or abused by your U.S.-citizen or lawful permanent-resident spouse or parent.

In such cases, you may apply to remove the conditions on your permanent residence at any time after you become a conditional resident, but before you are removed from the country. You must provide evidence that removal from the United States would cause you extreme hardship.

Your Child’s Conditional Green Card

If your child received conditional resident status within 90 days of when you did, then your child may be included in your application to remove the conditions on permanent residence. Your child must file a separate I-751 application if your child received conditional resident status more than 90 days after you did.

Late Application for Removal of Conditional Residency

If you fail to properly file Form I-751 within the 90-day period before your second anniversary as a conditional resident:

  • Your conditional resident status will automatically be terminated and we will begin removal proceedings against you;
  • You will receive a notice from us telling you that you have failed to remove the conditions;
  • You will receive a Notice to Appear at a hearing. At the hearing you may review and rebut the evidence against you. You are responsible for proving that you complied with the requirements (we are not responsible for proving that you did not comply with the requirements)

The Form I-751 can be filed after the 90-day period if you can prove in writing to the director of the appropriate Service Center that there was good cause for failing to file the petition on time. The director has the discretion to approve the petition and restore your permanent resident status.

How to Get a Waiver of the Requirement to File a Joint Petition

If you are unable to apply with your spouse to remove the conditions on your residence, you may request a waiver of the joint filing requirement. You may request consideration of more than one waiver provision at a time.

You may request a waiver of the joint petitioning requirements if:

  • Your deportation or removal would result in extreme hardship;
  • You entered into your marriage in good faith, and not to evade immigration laws, but the marriage ended by annulment or divorce, and you were not at fault in failing to file a timely petition;
  • You entered into your marriage in good faith, and not to evade immigration laws, but during the marriage you or your child were battered by, or subjected to extreme cruelty committed by your U.S. citizen or permanent resident spouse, and you were not at fault in failing to file a joint petition

Divorce Proceedings mot yet Finalized

If you are still married, but legally separated and/or in pending divorce or annulment proceedings, and:

  • You filed a waiver request.We will issue a request for evidence (RFE) specifically asking for a copy of the final divorce decree or annulment (if applicable).
  • You filed a Form I-751 petition jointly.We will issue a request for evidence (RFE) specifically asking for a copy of the final divorce decree or annulment and a statement that you would like to have your joint filing petition treated as a waiver.

Upon receipt of the final divorce decree or annulment within the specified time period, we will amend the petition, to indicate that eligibility has been established for a waiver of the joint filing requirement based on the termination of the marriage.

Work Permit

As a permanent resident, your green card will continue to prove that you have a right to live and work in the United States permanently. If you file Form I-751 on time,we will extend your conditional resident status will be extended until a decision has been made on your application. You will be sent a notice reflecting this.


An interview may be required to demonstrate eligibility to remove the conditions on your residence. If an interview is required, you will receive an appointment notice telling you when and where to appear for your interview.

How to Appeal

If your application to remove the conditions on your permanent residence is denied, you will receive a letter that will tell you why the application was denied. The process to remove you from the country will begin as soon as your application is denied. You will be allowed to have an immigration judge review the denial of your application during removal proceedings. During this review, it must proven that the facts on your application were untruthful and/or that your application was properly denied. If the immigration judge decides to remove you from the country, you may appeal this decision.

Generally, you may appeal within 30 days after the immigration judge decides to remove you from the country. After your appeal form and a required fee are processed, the appeal will be referred to the Board of Immigration Appeals in Washington, D.C.


Dedicated lawyers working for clients throughout Florida. Our Jacksonville law firm has been assisting clients for over 10 years. We work hard for you so that you can focus on other matters that are important to you and your family. The future belongs to you! We help you move past the legal matter that may be dominating your daily life right now so that you can focus your attention on your future goals and endeavors.

Regardless of the type of legal matter you may be facing right now, we strive to provide the personal attention you would expect if your case was the only case our attorneys were handling. We have helped thousands of clients throughout Florida. Let us help you with your legal matter.

Fast and easy solutions to the legal matter you are facing. Our goal is to help you find an affordable solution to your legal matter without causing additional stress or work for you. When you retain our law firm, you receive the guidance, support, and legal counsel of a Jacksonville attorney who is knowledgeable, passionate, and dedicated to serving his clients. You also receive the full support of a team of legal professionals who are dedicated to obtaining the best possible outcome in your case.

Contact our office to discover the difference it can make to have a team on your side that puts your best interests above all other concerns. Our Jacksonville lawyers believe everyone deserves to have the benefit of experienced legal counsel. Therefore, our law firm offers free consultations. We do not want the concern about paying for a legal consultation to prevent you from getting help with a legal matter. We want you to have the legal counsel and guidance you need as you choose the best option for you to resolve your legal matter.

Call our Jacksonville law firm at (904) 248-4482 to speak with an attorney now. Do not wait any longer to learn about your legal rights and options regarding your situation.