Before you purchase real estate in Florida, there are many steps that you should take to protect your investment. You should consult with an experienced Jacksonville real estate lawyer to discuss your legal rights and review the proposed contract. You need to request a title examination of the property to ensure there are no liens, encumbrances, or other title defects that could prevent you from owning clear title to the real estate.
However, do not overlook the zoning ordinances that govern the property. You do not want to purchase property and find out after the closing that current zoning ordinances do not permit you to use the land as you intended. Zoning ordinances can significantly restrict the use of land so that your land development plan is useless. For some companies, finding out that they cannot develop the land as they intended can be costly and highly detrimental to the business.
The Jacksonville land use and zoning attorneys of The Law Offices of Justin McMurray, P.A. work diligently with our clients to effectively navigate the zoning and land use restrictions in our area. Zoning and land use laws are complex. Do not make costly and time-consuming mistakes by attempting to handle legal issues related to zoning without an attorney.
Call (904) 248-4482 to schedule a free consultation with our Jacksonville zoning and land use lawyer to discuss your concerns and case.
What is Jacksonville’s Zoning Ordinance Laws?
Jacksonville’s Zoning Ordinance laws establish the regulations and standards for land use throughout the city. Each city or county has its own set of zoning ordinances that regulate land use within that geographical area. Some counties and cities may choose to combine oversight under one planning division or maintain a separate planning and zoning division for their area.
Zoning ordinances are intended to assist in the implementation of the long-term development plan for the city or county. Most cities and counties are divided into multiple zoning districts that have unique regulations and standards for land use and development within that area. For specific rules about land use for each area, you would need to research the Zoning Code and other information provided by the office regarding zoning and land use for your area.
Some of the matters governed by zoning ordinances include:
- Minimum roadway frontage, lot coverage, and density permitted for a specific parcel
- Home-based businesses, including daycares
- Fences for residential and commercial property
- Mobile homes or manufactured homes
- Storage sheds and detached garages
- Subdividing land
- Garage apartments
- Parking for RVs and boats
- Pools and other accessories
- Docks and boathouses
The above list is not an exhaustive list of the zoning and ordinance restrictions and regulations. For questions, contact our Jacksonville zoning attorney by calling (904) 248-4482 for a free consultation.
What Zoning and Land Development Related Services Do Our Jacksonville Zoning Attorneys Provide?
Our legal team works diligently on behalf of each of our clients to achieve the outcome they desire in a zoning matter. The types of cases we handle the legal services we provide related to zoning and ordinances include:
- Code enforcement violations and matters
- Amendment to the zoning code
- Completing and expediting permits
- Amendments to a Master Plan
- Municipal lien defense
- Lobbying for zoning and ordinance related matters
- Coastal water development issues
- Completing application site plans and zoning in addition to other land use applications
- Concurrency requirements
- Licenses and permits required by the government
- Issues related to building codes, including compliance and violation issues
- Issues related to water and sewer service
- Historic preservation applications and requirements
- Representation for environmentally sensitive issues, including assessment and remediation of contaminated lands
- Compliance and permits related to environmental issues
- Applications for variances from land use restrictions, including setback restrictions
- Apply for building and other required permits
- File an appeal of zoning board decisions
Because we practice in Jacksonville, we are very familiar with the City of Jacksonville’s Current Planning division. Knowing the local rules and preferences regarding issues related to zoning and ordinances can help expedite matters and avoid costly and time-consuming mistakes.
If you have a zoning-related matter or have questions about city ordinances, contact The Law Offices of Justin McMurray, P.A. by calling (904) 248-4482 for a free consultation with a Jacksonville zoning and ordinance attorney.
Helping You Cut Through Red Tape and Remain Compliant with City Regulations
If you do business in Jacksonville or live in Jacksonville, you are likely to deal with the Current Planning Division about a zoning, land use, or land development issue at some point. We urge you to seek legal counsel to ensure you understand your legal rights and obligations regarding a zoning or ordinance matter.
Contact The Law Offices of Justin McMurray, P.A. by calling (904) 248-4482 or using the contact form above to request a free consultation with our Jacksonville zoning and land use lawyer.