How to File for Chapter 7 Bankruptcy
Filing Chapter 7 Bankruptcy in Jacksonville, Florida
Several types of bankruptcy can provide debt relief for struggling Jacksonville residents and it is best to talk to an attorney at the bankruptcy Law Offices of Justin McMurray to help you determine and decide which type of bankuptcy best suits your situation. Understanding all your options is important so you can make an informed decision whether to file for a Chapter 7 bankruptcy in Jacksonville or a different type of bankruptcy, depending on your eligibility. Here are important steps to take when filing a Chapter 7 bankruptcy:
- Make sure a Chapter 7 bankruptcy in Florida is your best option. Remember that any type of bankruptcy should be considered as a last resort and must only be used if you already exhausted all other options.
- Not everyone is qualified for a Chapter 7 bankruptcy in Jacksonville. Eligibility is determined by your family size, income, and other factors relative to the area or state you are filing in. Passing the Means Test (a federal form that determines Chapter 7 bankruptcy qualification) verifies your eligibility. If you don’t qualify, otherwise, you can explore other options like debt consolidation or Chapter 13 bankruptcy.
- Consult with a bankruptcy attorney. At Law Offices of Justin McMurray, we will help you through the entire process from filing your petition to receiving your discharge orders.
- Mandatory credit counseling is also required. Failing to undergo this compulsory step may cause your petition to be dismissed before obtaining discharge.
- With the help of your bankruptcy Chapter 7 Florida lawyer, complete and review all necessary paper work, ranging from the petition to the schedule of your assets and liabilities, debts, income and expenditures, unexpired leases and executory contracts, exempt assets, means test, and other important forms necessary for the bankruptcy petition.
- Before heading for the bankruptcy court, secure your petition, complete paperwork, and credit counseling certificate. File the petition with the court serving your specific area or the area where your business and most your assets are located. Once the petition has been filed, legal actions against you are stayed; therefore, your creditors and the people you owe debt to will be unable to continue or start new lawsuits, demand payment, or garnish wages. A filing fee may be required if you had not applied for a fee waiver.
- Prepare for post-filing activities like the creditor’s meeting, and follow-up counseling, and wait for your discharge orders.
We Work For You
Dedicated lawyers working for clients throughout Florida. Our Jacksonville law firm has been assisting clients for over 10 years. We work hard for you so that you can focus on other matters that are important to you and your family. The future belongs to you! We help you move past the legal matter that may be dominating your daily life right now so that you can focus your attention on your future goals and endeavors. Regardless of the type of legal matter you may be facing right now, we strive to provide the personal attention you would expect if your case was the only case our attorneys were handling. We have helped thousands of clients throughout Florida. Let us help you with your legal matter. Fast and easy solutions to the legal matter you are facing. Our goal is to help you find an affordable solution to your legal matter without causing additional stress or work for you. When you retain our law firm, you receive the guidance, support, and legal counsel of a Jacksonville attorney who is knowledgeable, passionate, and dedicated to serving his clients. You also receive the full support of a team of legal professionals who are dedicated to obtaining the best possible outcome in your case. Contact our office to discover the difference it can make to have a team on your side that puts your best interests above all other concerns. Our Jacksonville lawyers believe everyone deserves to have the benefit of experienced legal counsel. Therefore, our law firm offers free consultations. We do not want the concern about paying for a legal consultation to prevent you from getting help with a legal matter. We want you to have the legal counsel and guidance you need as you choose the best option for you to resolve your legal matter. Call our Jacksonville law firm at (904) 248-4482 to speak with an attorney now. Do not wait any longer to learn about your legal rights and options regarding your situation.