Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Timeline
Understanding Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Process & Timeline by Jacksonville, Florida Lawyer
If you reside, own a property, or have a place of business in the Florida and are currently burdened by unsecured debts that you can no longer pay, you may be able to file for Chapter 7 bankruptcy in a federal court. Declaring bankruptcy is always difficult, emotionally and financially. Having a Chapter 7 bankruptcy lawyer behind you during this difficult time can ease the loss and guide you through the process. At The Law Offices of Justin McMurray, P.A., you get the best legal advice from our bankruptcy and foreclosure attorneys, who can help you prepare for all possible outcomes of your bankruptcy.
Use this timeline as a guide for the Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Process in Jacksonville:
- Before Filing – It is best to talk to a bankruptcy lawyer to weigh your options and to help you make important decisions whether you qualify for a Chapter 7 Bankruptcy filing. It is important to understand the entire process before you file so as not to be overwhelmed during the process and avoid making mistakes.
- Prior to filing a credit counseling course must be completed. The Law firm will guide you through this easy online process.
- Day 1 – Your first official step to bankruptcy is the law firm filing the petition. This is an official court declaration of your request for bankruptcy, thus beginning the process. Soon after you file the petition, the court will issue an automatic stay, which secures you from being pursued by collectors and creditors. This automatic stay remains active for as long as the petition is pending.
- 30 days after filing – Around a month after filing the petition, an inquiry between with your creditors and trustee is held (341 meeting of creditors), where you will be asked questions about your income, debts, and intentions for declaring bankruptcy. During this procedure your attorney will be there to assist with any questions or concerns.
- Shortly before discharge – a Follow-up counseling course must be taken before the process is finalized.
- 90 to 120 days after filing – A discharge hearing marks the finalization of the process. Once completed, a bankruptcy court hearing is held where you will receive your discharge papers.
WE WORK FOR YOU
Dedicated lawyers working for clients throughout Florida. Our Jacksonville law firm has been assisting clients for over 10 years. We work hard for you so that you can focus on other matters that are important to you and your family. The future belongs to you! We help you move past the legal matter that may be dominating your daily life right now so that you can focus your attention on your future goals and endeavors.
Regardless of the type of legal matter you may be facing right now, we strive to provide the personal attention you would expect if your case was the only case our attorneys were handling. We have helped thousands of clients throughout Florida. Let us help you with your legal matter.
Fast and easy solutions to the legal matter you are facing. Our goal is to help you find an affordable solution to your legal matter without causing additional stress or work for you. When you retain our law firm, you receive the guidance, support, and legal counsel of a Jacksonville attorney who is knowledgeable, passionate, and dedicated to serving his clients. You also receive the full support of a team of legal professionals who are dedicated to obtaining the best possible outcome in your case.
Contact our office to discover the difference it can make to have a team on your side that puts your best interests above all other concerns. Our Jacksonville lawyers believe everyone deserves to have the benefit of experienced legal counsel. Therefore, our law firm offers free consultations. We do not want the concern about paying for a legal consultation to prevent you from getting help with a legal matter. We want you to have the legal counsel and guidance you need as you choose the best option for you to resolve your legal matter.
Call our Jacksonville law firm at (904) 248-4482 to speak with an attorney now. Do not wait any longer to learn about your legal rights and options regarding your situation.