Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Timeline
Understanding Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Process & Timeline by Jacksonville, Florida Lawyer
Chapter 11 Bankruptcy gives debtors (commonly businesses) the opportunity to formulate a restructured payment plan to satisfy outstanding debts, with the supervision of a bankruptcy court. Like a Chapter 13 plan, Chapter 11 bankruptcy Florida is a multi-stage and lengthy process that can be overwhelming without proper counsel from a Jacksonville Bankrupcy lawyer. It is important to understand the different stages that this process entails and be certain The Law Offices of Justin McMurray is here to help you with your Chapter 11 filing. While every case is unique, here is a general timeline to help guide you on what to expect in a typical Florida Chapter 11 bankruptcy:
- 180 days prior to filing – This period should be dedicated to credit counseling and learning about the ins and outs of a Chapter 11 plan. Competing a credit counseling course is needed to satisfy eligibility requirements. As per the U.S. Bankruptcy code, counseling must be received within 180 days prior to the filing of the petition and must be administered by a duly approved agency.
- Day 1 – The process officially begins when your attorney submits your petition to court. With it, your attorney must also submit a list of creditors and other requisite forms. A filing fee must also be paid. At this stage of the process, an automatic stay takes effect, putting a halt on collection taking and other legal actions taken against you. 48 hours after the petition is filed, a first day hearing takes place to discuss and consider related motions and how the process and activities are going to proceed.
- Approximately 14 days after petition – The official creditor’s committee is formed by the Office of the U.S. trustee. This committee is comprised of some of the debtor’s creditors and they are responsible for making decisions on behalf of all creditors involved.
- Approximately 30 to 60 days after petition – The 341 meeting (meeting of creditors) is held. This is where the creditors and the debtor convene for questioning regarding income, property, outstanding debts, and related issues that may help or affect the case.
- Approximately 120 days or more after petition – The reorganization plan is developed. One of the most important components of a Florida Chapter 11 bankruptcy plan, the reorganization plan describes how a business intends to restructure and repay its debts. This plan is developed and submitted for consideration by the creditors. Once approved, the case can then proceed to the confirmation stage.
- Approximately 14 days after final plan is approved – Confirmation of the plan is made and existing debts excluded from the said plan are discharged. The debtor is bound by the terms and agreements of the reorganization plan from this point forward.
We Work For You
Dedicated lawyers working for clients throughout Florida. Our Jacksonville law firm has been assisting clients for over 10 years. We work hard for you so that you can focus on other matters that are important to you and your family. The future belongs to you! We help you move past the legal matter that may be dominating your daily life right now so that you can focus your attention on your future goals and endeavors. Regardless of the type of legal matter you may be facing right now, we strive to provide the personal attention you would expect if your case was the only case our attorneys were handling. We have helped thousands of clients throughout Florida. Let us help you with your legal matter. Fast and easy solutions to the legal matter you are facing. Our goal is to help you find an affordable solution to your legal matter without causing additional stress or work for you. When you retain our law firm, you receive the guidance, support, and legal counsel of a Jacksonville attorney who is knowledgeable, passionate, and dedicated to serving his clients. You also receive the full support of a team of legal professionals who are dedicated to obtaining the best possible outcome in your case. Contact our office to discover the difference it can make to have a team on your side that puts your best interests above all other concerns. Our Jacksonville lawyers believe everyone deserves to have the benefit of experienced legal counsel. Therefore, our law firm offers free consultations. We do not want the concern about paying for a legal consultation to prevent you from getting help with a legal matter. We want you to have the legal counsel and guidance you need as you choose the best option for you to resolve your legal matter. Call our Jacksonville law firm at (904) 248-4482 to speak with an attorney now. Do not wait any longer to learn about your legal rights and options regarding your situation.